Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Welcome to Native Pulse... "The Heartbeat of Native American Entertainment"

As a child, I was lucky enough to grow up in a household and family full of musicians and music lovers alike. It was wonderful. Music and the Arts were second nature to me, and it wasn't until I got older that I realized not all families were like mine. As I progressed in my music education, I was fortunate enough to attend the Interlochen Arts Academy, where everyone around me loved and understood the Arts as much as I did and nurtured my talents to the next level.

As a Native American (Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina) I love listening and watching all forms of art and artists that represent my culture. Rather it be traditional dances and songs or a Native American comedy show, I love it all and am very proud to be Native American.

Unfortunately, I've noticed there are not many outlets for all of these incredibly talented Natives to be showcased, especially in the media. Every time there is an opportunity to showcase our talents, the appropriations of our culture and people (usually by non-natives playing natives) are bountiful, and it makes my heart drop. Stereotypes and misrepresentations run rampant—and at the cost of all the amazingly talented Native Americans that go unnoticed.


It is my intention, with this website, to help break those barriers and stereotypes and showcase how truly talented us Native Americans really are! Our People are strong. Our Culture is strong. Our Native American Pulse beats strong, and we are still here!


Hope you enjoy!

~Jeremiah

No comments:

Post a Comment